Thursday, March 11, 2010

Snow to Sun in Five Hours or Less

Vancouver weather is famously odd. Ok well its famously wet and lately its been famously odd. My plan this morning was to get up, have breakfast and go for a five mile tempo. When I woke up at about 8:30, I looked outside to see snow. Yes, SNOW. This year we've barely had any snow in Vancouver, see the Winter Olympic news reports for more information on that one (ha!)... but last night it decided to snow. I also had a terrible headache, so I made myself some oatmeal, my usual with almond milk, banana, cinnamon, and vanilla, topped with almond butter and crofters superfruit spread which melted into the oatmeal and was delicious, and crawled back into bed. I lay around for a bit, chatted with the boy, started a new book, read blogs etc. At around eleven I went across the street for some coffee. Finally at about noon, the sun started shining, the snow melted away, my head was still pounding, but I thought running might make it feel better so I got changed, grabbed my trusty Garmin and got going.

I had a five mile tempo to run today and it was glorious. Yes, glorious. I warmed up, with a 9:47 mile and then went into the three tempo miles, first mile 8:24, second mile 8:36, third mile 8:59 - that's right all three miles in under 9:00 minutes which makes it my fastest tempo to date. Awesome! I then did a super slow cool-down mile, stretched and went home. My legs felt dead, in a good way.

I got home and threw a cup of almond milk, two handfuls of spinach, a banana, some frozen raspberries, and a scoop of brown rice protein powder into the blender, and inhaled it. One of my goals for my marathon training is to be better about recovery that is stretching, icing, and getting some protein and carbs, in liquid form so they are better absorbed immediately after working out so my muscles can repair themselves etc.

Now I'm off to go shower and we're heading out to our favorite lunch place - The T Room to grab some food. We haven't been there for a few weeks and I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment