Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Return of Oatmeal!

So yesterday I was out of bananas, which meant I couldn't make my beloved banana oatmeal for breakfast. Yesterday afternoon I solved this problem by stocking up on bananas. Which meant that this morning I got up and made my usual oatmeal with:
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
1/3 cup water
1 smashed banana
cinnamon
vanilla
1tbsp chia seeds

I then topped it with 1/4 cup granola, a tablespoon of almond butter and a tablespoon of crofters superfruit spread.

Oatmeal I missed you! Even though it was only one day.

Also yesterday dinner turned out brilliantly. Before going to pick up the boy I marinated some chicken breasts - organic, ethically raised chicken, the only stuff we'll eat, which is why we don't actually eat that much meat as its INSANELY expensive - in a mix of soy sauce, tahini, garlic, ginger, some canola oil, and some sesame oil.

When we got home I stir-fried some one cubed eggplant with some shitake mushrooms (which are also super expensive, 14$/lb as compared to the 2.99/lb or so I usually pay for white button mushrooms, and ps, you probably could use white button mushrooms in this) in a bit of olive oil. I threw the chicken into the oven, on broil (the recipe said to grill it, but we have no barbecue), turning it ever five minutes for about 15 minutes (this would likely have taken lest time if I had pounded the chicken flat first, but it worked out fine in the end). Meanwhile I reheated some quinoa, and made up a batch of pasta. When the chicken and vegetables were done a threw a bit of soy sauce and sesame sauce into each of the grains and mixed it up. I sliced up the chicken, mixed it with the veggies and then mixed it up with the quinoa and pasta.

It was SO, SO, SO, good. I was a bit apprehensive because tahini is such a strong taste, and the vegetables were stir fried without any real flavor added, but the chicken marinade was so good, and somehow the addition of just a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil at the end made all the difference.

We curled up on the couch after dinner to watch Finding Neverland, which was amazing, but had me crying at the end, then cleaned the kitchen and went to bed.

I have today off, so my plan is to go for a six mile run, my calves are feeling better and I'm thinking an easy run might loosen them up a bit. Then I'm planning to bake, bake, bake. I haven't had a good baking day in a few weeks, and I have a recipe I would like to make: these banana oatmeal maple raisin cookies.

There might also be some more raw chocolate chip cookies in the near future, I think I have enough cashews to make them. I want to experiment with using a little less coconut oil as I'm not sure they need the full 1/2 cup I've been putting in. I also want to try and use a bit more agave in the raw chocolate chips as I don't think the chips were sweet enough last time.

Also on the schedule today is rock climbing! I'm so excited, we haven't been in AGES and I miss it. We used to go 2-3 times a week but life's gotten too busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment